Beyond just picking good investments
One of the most frequent mistakes in the investing world is to focus solely on what to invest in (which companies, funds, etc.) and ignoring other elements like how you save or how you’re taxed. Consider the following:
- Traditional Savings vs. Roth Savings: There’s a good chance you’ve had this question yourself. Should I be saving in a Traditional IRA or a Roth IRA? The reality is that there are trade-offs, and your personal situation will dictate what is a good decision for you. Read on to see some of the ways this decision could impact you.
- Strategies for your 2017 taxes: Another often missed opportunity is being more proactive with your tax planning. It’s great to identify what deductions you can take when it’s time to file, but there are things you could be doing today to help your bottom line in April.
- Four tax-efficient strategies in retirement: In the same vein, being tax efficient over the long run can have a dramatic impact on how far your dollars will go. Here are some key points to help you keep more and give less away in taxes.
Word on the Street
Here’s a few good articles from around the industry. These viewpoints don’t always agree, but we think they’re worth a read:
- How this Bull Market will end: There is often talk about long our current bull market has persisted, and that it simply can’t go on forever. It’s true: this market won’t go up forever. But bull markets don’t just die of old age. Oppenheimer funds put together a list of signs that could signal when the end is approaching.
Our Fall Dinner Events are fast approaching. If you’re in the Northland we’d love to see you there. If you’ve not attended before, the evening consists of a nice dinner and some light commentary from our team. These are always well attended to be sure to reserve your spot early. If you have friends or family that you think would enjoy meeting us or just having a nice evening out, this is a great opportunity to bring them along.
- Monday, October 2nd at Barkers Island Inn in Superior, WI
- Tuesday, October 3rd at Black Woods Restaurant in Proctor, MN
- Monday October 9th at Valentini’s in Chisholm, MN
- Thursday, October 12th at The Friendly Buffalo in Big Lake, MN
Team Member Highlight – John Herron, CFP® ChFC®
John’s experience and discerning mind are a tremendous asset to our team. Many times when we are looking into new investments, John’s judgement and analysis carries tremendous weight. In addition to working with clients he is also our front line supervisor, where he excels at keeping us up to date and compliant with our ever-changing industry. John is married to Julie and is a proud father of two sons.